So, I happened to be browsing on Netflix a couple of weeks ago and came across this movie that really piqued my interest on the ketogenic diet. And as any avid reader would do, I have been reading and researching about this and other low carbohydrate (carb) intake diets in general.
To recap, low carb diets restrict carbohydrate intake. The ketogenic diet is far more restrictive on one’s daily carb intake while increasing your intake of healthy fats. The most restricting guidelines advise to keep your daily carb intake at 6% of your weight which for me is about 12 grams! Other guidelines are more lenient with suggestions of 20 to 50 grams.
I started my foray into this low carb maze around April 30 which was towards the beginning of my staycation and while I was off, it was easy for me to go low carb. Not as low as the ketogenic diet strictly advises but watching, monitoring and adjusting. I went back to work this week and that has been more challenging but I think I have done my best.
I don’t think I will ever go as low as 6% but there have been some progress
- I have reduced my carb intake by more than 50%..on most days
- I am becoming more aware of what I eat and looking at nutrition labels
- When I follow the ketogenic diet as closely as I can, my food cravings subside. I do not snack a lot which helps because my go-to snacks were pretty high in carbohydrates
- I am making new delicious low-carb meals which has been really awesome
- I am discovering all kinds of healthy oils: coconut oils, ghee, avocado oil.
- And last, but certainly not least, have lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. It may not seem like much but for someone who barely loses weight even when I am working out, this is really big for me.